ABN is clear about where we want to go. With our activity, we pretend to add value and move towards a circular economy. With honesty and integrity, we try to ensure that innovation and creativity lead to environmental protection and a more sustainable world.
In line with our environmental commitments, the EcoVadis gold level medal measures our environmental performance in 4 areas: environment, labour practices and human rights, ethics and sustainable procurement. The Carbon Footprint Seal awarded by the Ministry for Ecological Transition also recognises our efforts in calculating, reducing and offsetting the greenhouse gas emissions generated by our activity.
In addition, since 2018 we have been a Signatory Partner of the United Nations Global Compact, demonstrating our commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We are subscribing to Pact for a Circular Economy, which has the goal of engaging Spain’s main economic and social agents in the transition towards this new economic model; and the initiative Operation Clean Sweep (OCS), promoted by ANAIP, in order to achieve “Zero losses of pellets” and prevent them from ending up in the environment.
Our CSR strategy can be summarised in the following objectives:
- Support and respect the protection of fundamental human rights.
- Support the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
- Promote equal opportunities and non-discrimination between men and women.
- Improve the integration of vulnerable groups in the company.
- Work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
- Have a code of ethics and responsible practices.
- Analyse the life cycle of our products and our manufacturing system.
- Improve the quality of our products, complying with the most demanding reaction to fire regulations, creating halogen-free systems,
with low smoke emission and no toxicity.
- We are in the process of obtaining Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) and introducing improvement parameters to reduce our environmental footprint.
- Increase the consumption of recycled raw materials compared to virgin raw materials in our manufacturing process.
- Working with the most innovative raw materials on the market to achieve products with higher performance, greater resistance and greater durability.
- Creating new, safer and more efficient assembly techniques.
- Optimise the use of raw materials, achieving weight reductions of up to 30%.
- Reduce consumption of fossil fuels, such as diesel, treatment fluids and other substances used for machinery maintenance.
- Reduce the packaging costs of our products in relation to the tonne produced. This objective has been applied as a priority to wood, plastic and cardboard.
- Reduce water consumption through water reuse, which helps to reduce water treatment and cooling.
- Integral management of wastewater and rainwater in order to return it to the environment in perfect condition.
- Increase the use of renewable energies at our headquarters in A Coruña and at our Production Plant in Medina del Campo, Valladolid.
- Reduce kilowatt consumption per tonne produced per year.
- Encourage the separation of non-hazardous waste.
- Reduce the tonne of CO2 from wheeled transport in the removal of factory containers by compacting the material.
- Choose suppliers with ISO 14001 implemented.
- Consider their proximity to our facilities in order to reduce emissions.